The sort order of text in an SQL database is influenced by so-called collations. These usually work behind the scenes, but they offer a number of interesting customization possibilities, while also being a potential source of operational problems and user confusion.
In this webinar, Peter Eisentraut covered the following topics:
- How modern collations work
- What the role of Unicode is.
- Which variants and customization options are available, such as language-specific collation and case insensitivity, and how PostgreSQL implements those.
- Relevant development projects for future PostgreSQL versions.
- How collations affect the management of databases, specially upgrades.